is satellite worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD6415

In Runtime
I live out in the middle of nowere and I can't get DSL or cable or anything other than Dial up then I found Statelliet internet and it is $300 to install and $49.95 a month with speeds 100 upload and 512 download and I was just wondering do you think it is worth it

thats crazy but if you have the money then do it. I wonder what kind of connection you will have on cloudy, rainy days....

Well the company said that bad weather will have little to no effect on the connection

I have direcway and it's ok as long as you understand a few things.

Note: People who have real broadband connections may not want to read further as your head may explode due to the insane concept of the "Fair Access Policy" or FAP

1) Direcway is broadband that's not really broadband.
---Basically you have a bucket that holds about 160-200MB of bandwidth. That bucket is filled at a rate of ~56kbs. If you empty your bucket in say an hour which is quite easy if your downloading a file. The FAP kicks in and screws you for about 8 hours. By then you bucket fills up and you can start again.

2) Direcway is not for games. Granted I have used it as a second box for EQ and such it can be unrealiable and I would not recomend it over a dial up for those games. Your pings will be from ~900-1900ms or more.

It is great for general internet browsing and light downloading.

If it is a $300 installation fee, he is talking about WildBlue, so he wont have that download cap. If you get satellite, make SURE its WildBlue. Stay away from DirecWay! Their Fair Access Policy totally defeats the purpose of broadband.

Wild Blue Fair Access Policy

Granted it's a **** of a lot better than Direcway, but it is still there looming over your shoulder. Anyone know why satellite has that BS on it? I mean they do not stand a chance when anyother broadband option comes into town.

Very odd....................
No isdn???
No cable internet???

I'll never understand this view. There is vastly more land area in the US that has no cell phone coverage and isdn/cable coverage than there is that does.

Sure I could move a few miles closer to town or even live in the city, but where I live I do not even have to lock my doors through the day while I am at work, or if the kids do not pick up their toys out of the yard it's no big deal as they will not get ripped off.

Yea, I'd kill for other highspeed options, but I value the nice quiet little subdivision I live in sooo much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom