satellite question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dualtrax.

Beta member
Hi I live in Australia and currently have no access to either cable or ADSL and I am using a dual ISDN connection at the moment. I enjoy playing online games and currently ping at around 90-120. Satellite prices have dropped dramatically over the last few weeks and I am interested in getting a 512/128 sat connection. the 128 upload would be via a fixed dual ISDN line. Will this connection improve my pings or will it make them worse as I have heard bad things about satellite and gaming. thank you.

It should make them a little better, but you will never get real low pings with a satellite connection. It all depends on the game as well. People can play CSS with satellite okay but have problems with UT2k4. I feel for ya man, I live in the boonies too (sucks), and I am stuck with a fixed wireless system that can sometimes be pretty fast but is allot of the times so slow that i'm not much better off than i would be with dial-up. Its cheaper than satellite though.

there are dual sat links that allow upload rates (as of now, sure it will get faster with technology) of around 256Kbs and downloads of up to 1Mbps... but its EXPENSIVE AS HELL!!!!

Well in Australia the government has started a program where they subsidise the costs for satellite for the people who dont have access to any form of broadband. A normal installation would cost $700AUD whereas with this new program it is only $100 for installation and a monthly fee of $80AUD and a free ISDN connection for the uploads + 2GB limit. Still not as great as the ADSL and cable plans but definately more affordable then what satellite used to be. beedubaya has said I will get better pings but i have been getting mixed reply's elsewhere saying i will get 250+ pings. Remember that I will be using a ISDN line for the uploads. If some more people could add some input it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, some two-way satellite services get like 500+ pings, so I wouldn't expect to get much gaming done on satellite.

so its not worth switching to sat? im not going to get better pings on 512/128 using ISDN for uploads?

Anything is better than 56K dial-up these days. It satellite is your only option, it may not be as good as cable/dsl, but it sure beats dial-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom