satellite internet and VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRat

Beta member
Hi all I am new to this forum and have searched the archives but could not find much on my question. I am in Clover SC and cannot get cable internet or DSL. Right now I am using a wirless verizon internet card but the coverage is useless most of the time. Everything I read on satellite seems to be very negative but it is looking more and more like this is my only option. Is satellite really that bad? I need to be able to do some work from home and my company uses VPN. Supposedly satellite realy slows down when VPN is used. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? Anything good to say about satellite?

Thanks
Wade

I have a lot of experience with it. There are 3 sites that I still manage under a satellite ISP contract. The largest downfall for me is how unreliable it is. One of the sites is in Hoonah, Alaska (Check out google maps). Anyway, the weather there is completely unpredictable. If that weren't enough, they also hold a dish to dish link as part of their internal LAN. Getting in remotely is always a pain in the rear. I can also usually bank on only being connected for about 10 minutes at a time before I have to reconnect.

This is worst case though. I'm using software in that case that has an incredibly high packet issuing rate for connection assurance... (TCP over UDP) Basically, it's using a massive flow control to make sure that I stay connected.

In your case, that won't be too much of an issue though as VPNs don't have too much of an overhead. But things like bad weather are going to be a big issue. Not to mention, I'm fairly certain that is isn't cheap to get it setup. The fees per month are comparable to that of Cable/DSL but your downloads will be slower, and reliability will be close to 65%-70%....hardly worth it from a professional standpoint.

As for work from home.... hmmm, try it out. They have any trial basis that you can utilize (full pay rate of course) for a few months? The good thing about 99% of Satellite ISPs is that they give you a backup dial-up connection for free. And if you are just using the dial-up for a VPN and then using things like Outlook, 3rd party apps, etc, then it really isn't too bad.

Thanks, I hid under a rock for years to get most of them (My friends didn't like it very much) Most of them are outdated and no longer valid....I'm just not willing to dish out the extra money of an updated A+ when I know that I know what I'm talking about ... but it may be fun a couple years down the road to retake it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom