Samsung not so smart TV and arp protocol

generaltso78

Beta member
Hi all,

I am new to networking and am in my first intro class at school. To have a better understanding of network traffic, I installed wireshark on my laptop.

I have a Samsung plasma smart tv which uses smart hub to access the internet and access my home network. The television is hard wired to my router.

When I capture arp packets using wireshark, I get an endless stream of arp boradcasts from my television (samsung) to my router (who has 192.168.1.1 tell 192.168.1.2). I never seem to capture my router response telling my tv what it's mac address is. All of my other network devices reslove this issue. Im not sure why but my television does not have any issues accessing the net. Can anyone clarify this for me, how my television is able to access the internet? and is this issue a handshake roblem between tv and router?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Mike

Hi all,

I am new to networking and am in my first intro class at school. To have a better understanding of network traffic, I installed wireshark on my laptop.

I have a Samsung plasma smart tv which uses smart hub to access the internet and access my home network. The television is hard wired to my router.

When I capture arp packets using wireshark, I get an endless stream of arp boradcasts from my television (samsung) to my router (who has 192.168.1.1 tell 192.168.1.2). I never seem to capture my router response telling my tv what it's mac address is. All of my other network devices reslove this issue. Im not sure why but my television does not have any issues accessing the net. Can anyone clarify this for me, how my television is able to access the internet? and is this issue a handshake roblem between tv and router?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Mike

I'm seeing the same problem with a Samsung ES7100 TV.

You may not see the ARP response because the destination MAC in the ethernet frame is set to the TV. This frame only gets sent on the one port on a switch.

I detected this problem when I set my FreeBSD server to bridge two interfaces so that the wireless and wired network would be bridged. tcpdump'ing on both interfaces I see the ARP request and replies, and the ARP requests do not stop ever. I thought seeing this meant that the TV wasn't connected to the internet but it actually is. It's almost like the ARP cache lasts for only a few seconds.

Just downloaded the latest firmware but it didn't fix it.

Back
Top Bottom