Same Router, Same Computers, New ISP, New Problems

fdeboer

Beta member
A few days ago I switched from a local ISP to Comcast. I didn't want to, as I've always hated Comcast, but they were my only other option, and the old ISP was giving me about half the speed I was paying for. I installed the new cable modem, and it was indeed plenty fast (for me)-- 25 mbps down, 3 and a half up. But that's when it's working.

I've been experiencing periodic losses of connection since I switched service providers. I will be browsing as usual, and certain webpages won't load. I'll lose connection to Gchat. But typically, the native Windows 7 wifi monitor doesn't say that I'm not connected to the Internet. Typically what happens is that I'll try to load a particular page, and it will fail to load, giving me a "server not found" message. That website will persist in failing to load, whether I hit reload, open a new tab and click my bookmark again, or input the URL manually. Sometimes I can't open any pages when this happens, but usually, I can open some pages and not others. Often the browser will seem to not even try to reload the page, blinking back the "server not found" message as if I'm not connected to the Internet at all, without showing the churning wheel in the corner. I feel like certain pages, like Gmail and Twitter, fail to load more often, but that may simply be because I load those pages more often so I'm more inclined to notice. If I try to run a ping test from the command prompt, it either happens flawlessly, or it will say "Ping request could not find host." Sometimes, the ping test will work but pages won't load.

This happens whether I am accessing the router directly through an Ethernet cord or through wifi. I have since connected my desktop through a direct Ethernet connection with the modem I got from Comcast. I have not noticed the same problems with the desktop, although I use that for web browsing less often than I use my laptop. I have also been able to stream live sports and movies without trouble on my desktop. So it's a router problem, right? Except that I'm using the exact same router I used with my old ISP and its modem. I can't imagine the router suddenly started failing right when I switched providers. Could the router and modem have some sort of incompatibility? I have tried connecting the cable modem to the three separate jacks in my apartment and had the same problems. I'm prepared to call Comcast and have them send a tech out, but a) I'm afraid they'll just tell me it's the router and not their problem and b) they charge for house visits and it takes forever.

The router is a DLink DIR-615 Wireless N 300. It's firmware appears up to date. My desktop is a Core i7 Windows 7 64-bit system I built myself, using a generic PCI wifi adapter I've had for years. The laptop I'm using is a MacBook Pro running Windows 7 32-bit in Bootcamp, using the native wifi adapter in that. I'm using the latest build of Firefox on both computers. If anybody can give me any advice, I'd appreciate it-- this one has me bamboozled. And frustrated; it happened twice while I was composing this post.

Weel, from what I am reading here, I would say that you have a computer problem instead of modum/router problem.

You said yourself, the desktop works fine, this eleminates the network.

MAC Books are strange anaimals to begin with, but now you are also saying that you are also using the MAC book in what sounds like two differant OS at the same time.

When was the last time you did a disk defrag? Deleated old browser files/cookies?

On a WIN computer, you go thru IE>TOOLS>OPTIONS>BROWSER SETTINGS>SETTINGS>VIEW FILES, highlite all files and deleate.

On a MAC, there should be some place like this.

Do you have another lap top that is WIN that you could try and see if you get the same problem?

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom