Samba + Windows + Me = Pure ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonegger2

Solid State Member
Okay. I went into my red hat linux box, and setup the Samba correctly (i know i did because a dozen or different sources told me how), and went to set up a work group between the two. I don't know what I did wrong in the windows side of it but i mucked up good. I cannot even see any of my workgroup computers. No matter what I do I cannot find or see them. I think i messed up and mapped myself into a network that doesn't exist. Whenever I click on View Workgroup Computers I get this error message:"Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource." Then a whole thing about how I need to contact an administrator to get it fixed, and finally then this. "The list of servers for this workgroup is no currently available." I need help. I'm trying to get to this box from my windows laptop, so that i can write to it from Dreamweaver 8. To an apache web server. All help will be greatly appreciated.

Ok..post your smb.conf file for me to see.

Things to check.

Can you ping the samba server using it's IP address and hostname? Can the samba server ping the Windows machine using IP and hostname?

Are firewalls disable or configured correctly to allow samba to function?

How's your network setup...are the two connected to a switch/hub?

1. i'll get that if i can
2. I can ping from this machine (windows) to the Linux box. I cannot do the reverse.
3. Firewalls are disabled on the windows machine.
4. It's actually through two hubs.
I'm connected to a secondary that runs through another, and then through the internet.

When you ping the Linux server from Windows, did you use both IP and host name of the Linux server?

Are you positive the Windows firewall is really disable? Because that sounds a lot like a firewall problem if you can't ping Windows but it can ping the Linux server.

I can't really picture your network unless you can give me a diagram..all I know is there is two hub, what did you mean by a secondary? and you have an Internet connection so I assume there is a home router in the network.

Is the cable between the first router and the second router plugged into the WAN port on the 2nd router(2nd router being the bottom one). If it is, this will block pings going from your Linux box to your Windows laptop. The WAN port will block any incoming pings by default. It's best just to plug the cable coming into your 2nd router into a LAN port(one of the other 4 ports).

Is the cable between the first router and the second router plugged into the WAN port on the 2nd router(2nd router being the bottom one). If it is, this will block pings going from your Linux box to your Windows laptop. The WAN port will block any incoming pings by default. It's best just to plug the cable coming into your 2nd router into a LAN port(one of the other 4 ports).

That's what I was thinking also but he told me he is using hubs...so I'm a bit confused myself. They can't be both hubs because how will you access the Internet unless you have two IP. If one was a SOHO router connected to the Linux and the other is a hub connected to the Windows then his topology should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom