running ethernet cable beyond 328 ft

mcintire21

Solid State Member
At our house we have the internet connected to a router, everything is working fine there. From the back of that router I ran a cat 5e cable outside in pvc pipe to another building ~500ft away and connected another router to provide internet access in the 2nd building. After about a yr w/ no problems the cable appears to have gone bad. I did some research and learned ethernet cable sections should be no longer than 328ft. I've looked at switches/repeaters but I'm not sure what I need, just looking for suggestions. Please provide make/model or links.

Is there something I can put in the 1st building to boost the signal beyond 328? or do I need to put a switch/repeater half way to the 2nd building making each cat 5e section less than 328ft. If I install something half way, it'll need to be poe, since its outside I cant plug anything into the wall out there.

I easyest and smartest way to do this is to install a 5g wirelss link between the two buildings.

You will intall one device on the outside of the main building wall facing the other building with a new cat6 to the router.

On the other building, install the other device facing the main building and then connect to a switch or wireless router and you will be good to go and never have a problem.

You can do this for less then about $400.00, includes two 5g device's and new router.

I deal in this equipment and can presetup for you to plug and play.

Contact me direct for more info.

This power line ehternet is good for 984' (300m) and it's only $60.
Newegg.com - TRENDnet TPL-4052E 4-Port Powerline 500 AV Adapter Up to 500Mbps

provided that you have the same meter and circuit boxes to feed both buildings. Won't work if the buildings have separate meter boxes. It can go through a circuit box
Yeah, the only reason I didn't suggest those is the fact that on certain outlets throughout my house, those adapters don't work (can't get a signal). So I can't (in good faith) recommend something for two separate buildings that I can't get to work in my own home.

However, you could give it shot, but like JoeC said, if you know the electrical grid of the buildings won't allow it, then don't bother.

I was afraid of the same thing when I got the powerline adapters but the one's I had went through two different circuit boxes, it did have a weaker signal but it's above the speed of the internet

note: when I tried these going through three circuit boxes, it would not pick up the signal. I installed these powerline adapters to a pole barn about 100' away from the house and about another 50' or so to the modem from inside the house. The modem outlet is on another circuit box from the pole barn outlet. These are more expensive than the other brands that may or may not have the capacity to cross the L1 and L2 through the circuit box

Last edited:
Powerline adapters depend on so much to have decent speeds it's ridiculous. The technology is still in great infancy, and as it stands currently wireless is better.

Powerline adapters depend on so much to have decent speeds it's ridiculous. The technology is still in great infancy, and as it stands currently wireless is better.

Agreed. I had a few power line adapters and they did their job... not well, but they worked. Latency was crazy.

Also.. is fiber optic not an option?

I've never had problems with it as of yet.
This is an interesting article, it states that the A/C current is actually more efficient than a D/C current used for data cable. The wall warts still do have certain disadvantages but for the cost, might be worth doing a long distance network, and the technology gets better all the time. being a Tech forum, one would think that we would embrace innovation and the latest gadgets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Last edited:
Yea but you need to look a bit deeper into the things that can and do deteriorate the signal quality of power line adapters.

Everything from old lines, to interference from other devices on unshielded cable, to circuit hopping, to even the quality of breakers in your box will determine the quality of signal you get on the other end. In newer houses it wouldn't be an issue, but if I'm correct this guy wants to go between buildings where power adapters aren't really the answer. If there is no interference and ping wouldn't be an issue, a 5Ghz wireless communications would be a much better answer, and provide faster speeds.

Trust me when I say, I wish powerline adapters were so much better because it would make my own house a lot tidier. Until then, the ethernet will continue to be ran. Don't forget, that they are half duplex too.

Edit: A friend of mine recently purchased some gigabit ones, and going from one room to the other usually gets DSL speeds.

Back
Top Bottom