Running CAT5...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiZcO

In Runtime
Ok, we just got a house mayb 5 months ago. ive been alright with my computer in my living room.. which has cable outlet which hooks into my modem which hooks into my Linksys Router. but i really wanna put my computer into my room. only problem there is.. there is no cable outlet in my room... so i would have to run a 100ft CAT5 under the house to my room which would be hard and VERY scary... the house is off the ground by brick and u pretty much would have to crawl on your knee's and no telling whats under there this house is REALLY old. and my only 2nd option is a Wireless card... but then i thought about it.. i did it befor and it would mess up my games. i play multiplayer games.. and the wireless card takes so many secounds to get a connection.. its not a steady connection sometime it will cut in and out. so therefor i would lag in my games. what other options do i have? anything would be nice.. thanks guys.

run the cord against the wall and the carpet. Or tough up and run it under the house.

I had to run ours under the house to get my connection. I found a dead cat and about 10,000 spiders.... but I got it done.

do you have a finish basement?

you can also try a powerline adapter which uses the electric in your house

We ran a cable through the attic in my friend's house last week.

Poke a hole in the ceiling in the closet, feed it through, run it through to the other room's closet.

Speaking as an electrician, who is constantly on his knees running cables in disgusting areas, I'd just say tough it out and go under.

If you're afraid of crawling through rat crap or something, wear a garbage bag over your pants. It'll be awkward, but it'll prevent anything moist from getting through.

Just remember to try and strap the cable about every four feet or so to the underside of the house. You don't want the cable resting on the ground.

That's costs alot over running basic cat5 cables, but is a great solution. I wonder how it disturbs the power lines, i.e. power noise and how it affects the PSU.

I say just go under the house. And remember, doing a good job at something especially in your house is always a plus. I can't tell you how many times i have walked into a house and seen an ethernet cable hanging through a hole in the wall or out of a ceiling. So take your time and do it right, put in a wall jack, do what Lorithad said and be sure to secure the cable tightly but dont pinch it, and try and not place it near any type of power line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom