Routers and Firmware Flashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsteel

Baseband Member
I just put dd-wrt on my netgear wnr834bv2 and it didn't take all the way i don't think so i put the latest and lamest firmware from netgear on it just to get on the internet for the next couple of days.. i was browsing some web pages and i came across several sites telling me i can turn my router into an access point AP or bridge it and do all kinds of cool things with dd-wrt. I like the setup for dd-wrt, but the only thing is I need to is 1. know how to properly flash my firmware step by step newbie instructions and 2. what all can you do with a third party firmware? Can I receive another internet connection with the router instead of a wifi adapter? and i guess "repeat" it? If so is there a benefit from that? Are routers stronger than wifi adapters?

flash the firmware: Answer

i would be very skeptical of flashing a router with third party software.

what are you looking to achieve with dd-wrt? you should be able to connect to a wireless network with your wifi adapter; assuming the hardware is compatible....b/g/n flavors.

what would make a device stronger is the physical hardware. A router and wifi adapter should have the same signal strength. However, a router can perform a wider variety of tasks...like routing packets, firewall, port forwarding, and more.

Yha, dd-wrt is a very repitable os for the linksys wrt54gL, as it runs linux.

It truely opens up the router to alot of uses. I've seen the 54gL be used as a torrent device, print servers, mini computers with sd card storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom