Router for wireless connection

Sorry, don't know why file isn't getting attached .... trying

The router connection is also bad today. It's gettin connected & disconnected every few minutes.

Last edited:
The "Set the password of the device to wireless network key" is the login password to get into the actual GUI. I recommend NOT setting it to the same password as the network key, because if your network is compromised, that's usually one of the first things that is guessed/tried.

And as you can see in your Wireless settings section, it says that your device is setup to be encrypted with WPA2 already, so you should be fine there.

One more point please. Since the past couple of days, soon after logging in, router keeps connecting and disconnecting every few minutes. Takes 30 minutes or more before it gets steady. Can you think of any reasons why? Don't know if the weather has anything to do with it which has been cloudy & clammy lately.

Try unplugging it from your AC adapter for 5 - 10 minutes, then plug it back in and wait a couple minutes for it to fully boot up and see if it still acts up. Sometimes even devices like routers need a good reboot.

What I've discovered is that the disturbances in connection is because of radio interference. Since I reside in an apartment building there are many wifi users among the neighbors. The commonly used channels are supposed to be 1, 6 and 11. So I guess I would need to install the free InSSIDER utility software, find the crowded channels and then learn to change to a less crowded channel .. right?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I couldn't get a steady connection this afternoon for more than 90 minutes .. it kept connecting & disconnecting. It can get so inconvenient.

Last edited:
I use the Wifi Analyzer app on my Android phone. But yes I assume that software would do the same thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Just a question though... why would MAC filtering specifically be useless?

MAC addresses are sent via plaintext during the WPA/WPA2 handshake. All you need to do to get a useful MAC address is send a deauth packet to a client that you think is on the target WLAN, and sniff the MAC address during the handshake when they try to reconnect.

Then you just need to spoof that MAC address, and bam you've got around the MAC address filter. All that MAC address filtering adds is a minute or so extra time required to crack a WAP (seconds if you use an automated tool). It is not recommended as a method of hardening WLANs.

You'd think this is a strangely obvious security hole, but it's because every client on the wireless network would need to decrypt every single packet, just to find out whether it was sent to them or not.

P.S. If your family/friends/neighbours are annoying you then automated, randomised deauth packets can be great fun.
P.S.S. Sending the deauth packet is technically unnecessary since you could sniff any packet from that client, but it ensures you're getting it from a client connecting to your target, and you're probably wanting to capture the handshake anyway so you can crack the hash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom