Router suggestion - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Router suggestion

I知 looking to buy a router for home I知 in between the Asus RT-ac68u and Netgear Nighthawk ac2600 r7450 there is a local store that these are the same price right now under 100 which of these are better do you have any experience with these?

I知 planing on pairing it with a surfboard SB6183

I have very basic knowledge on routers and modems so any help is appreciated

Old 01-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Router suggestion

I hate Netgear routers, especially the Nighthawk line so my vote is for the Asus. In terms of raw wireless performance the Nighthawk has the edge, but it won't matter much unless you have a ton of wireless devices. So really it depends on your setup.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

There痴 4 people in the house all with devices and game consoles and streaming devices so I think I might need something that has that capability. Also the router is currently set up in the lower level of the house so it needs to be able to reach the opposite end of the house in the upper level. I had to buy a range extender with the gateway I have now to reach the far end of the bedroom upstairs
Old 01-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Neither router will guarantee that range and with that many devices you're trying to connect wirelessly both will have bandwidth limitations.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote