router setup q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYY DYNASTY

Baseband Member
trying to setup a router on my friends pc. Thru his cable modem, he gets an ip of 68.xxx.xx.xxx with a gateway of 192.168.0.1

my question is this: if I install the router with its default settings, why wont it work? The gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 Do I have to change the gateway to xx.xx.0.1 instead of xx.xx.1.1?

Bottom line is that when I install the router on his PC, it wont get any websites. I CAN ping the router AND get into its setup pages, but I cant get any websites....any ideas?

have you tried resetting router to factory defaults and on his internet connection settings in windows set it to "obtain IP address automatically.

don't use static IP, don't manually set any options including default gateway, subnet mask, or DNS. by default your router should have DHCP enabled. what i am getting at is use all default and automatic settings. check the DHCP client table to see if his computer is listed there.

yea, everything is set for automatic. nothing was static. I dont know...I'll take a look at his settings again, though....thanks

When you are viewing the setup pages for the router, locate the Status Page (or maybe the Starting page). Does it show both an internal and an External IP address for the router?

-Mike

Does it show up as under connection type as Dynamic? of course it should.. check to see the actual modem's settings, call up the tech support or go to the site of his isp.. they usually have instructions on these things (i know.. thats why you're here!), anyways, if it comes down to it, set the modem as a bridge and the router to PPPoE. :confused:

mikesgroovin said:
When you are viewing the setup pages for the router, locate the Status Page (or maybe the Starting page). Does it show both an internal and an External IP address for the router?

-Mike
i dont think it had an external ip. i think 0.0.0.0 was listed...i actually havent been at his house in about a week, so i'm not sure now...but anyways....i think that was one of the problems...the router wasnt getting any ext. ip's or dns.

First, make sure that the router and both PCs are setup to receive IP addresses automatically.
Second, turn off all PCs.
Unplug the cable modem and then the router. Leave the cable modem off for at least 1 minute and then plug the cable modem back in. Wait about 30 seconds or so and then plug the router back in. Then wait about 10 seconds or so and turn on one PC. After it boots, turn on the second.
Let me know if this helps ya.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom