about to give my router to my parents since there's is having issues
Looking for a replacement
I live in an apartment about 750 sq ft.
Here are the recommendations I got from my isp
ASUS RT-AC3200+••••*
ASUS RT-AC5300••••**
Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000••••*
TP-Link Talon AD7200

Which one is the better one or do you guys have a better suggestion like the mesh stuff (Orbi, velop, Google)

Thanks

So far these 2 are being recommended
NetGear Nighthawk Pro XR500 AC2600
$219 at microcenter

ASUS RT-AC86U AC2900
$200 at Fry's

Here's another on sale
Refurbished: TP-Link OnHub AC1900 TGR1900BLK TGR1900*

$70 Newegg

Out of all the returns I process, we get more Netgear junk back than any other, especially Nighthawk units. The least returned seems to be the higher priced ASUS units like the RT-AC3200, while we get them back, it's rare.

Avoid any and all Mesh like solutions, those... They just aren't worth it, the return rate is horrible on them, they make Nighthawks look good. This means Orbi, Lyra, Velop and so on.

Why we sell such trash and accept returns is beyond me... Those stupid things should never have existed.

Oh, and the original NightHawk, R7000, is the same as an ASUS RT-68, total junk hardware prone to failure. What makes it worse is, whilt the RT-68 has good firmware, the stock firmware for the NightHawk is BEYOND buggy and horrible.

Interesting to hear that opinion about the Netgear. I've never had any issues with them, although it's been a few years since I've messed with the Nighthawks. The original ones had superior range compared to most other brands, Asus being the exception. I would definitely recommend Asus over the others, though. The range and ease of use is good on those. For only 750 square feet, you don't need something super powerful. You'll want to take stock in the channels being used by other routers around you, though. Make sure you setup on a channel that has the least interference otherwise you'll suffer from speed issues.

They have always had good range, but horrible QC and firmware. I have 4 dead units here that Netgear refused to do anything about, all due to firmware bugs.

Take note, I work in one of the few returns centers for one of the largest retailers on the planet, so I have a pretty good idea of what's being returned and is essentially junk based on the return volume compared to other things of the same nature.

So Asus?
They have always had good range, but horrible QC and firmware. I have 4 dead units here that Netgear refused to do anything about, all due to firmware bugs.

Take note, I work in one of the few returns centers for one of the largest retailers on the planet, so I have a pretty good idea of what's being returned and is essentially junk based on the return volume compared to other things of the same nature.

Back
Top Bottom