Router Questions - Need to Upgrade?

Hermanator

Baseband Member
Over the last few months I've noticed our Internet speed slowly getting worse and my wireless devices having issues keeping a constant connection.

I've rebooted the modem (Time Warner Cable) and router plenty of times. The router has always been in the same location. CAT5 cables and connections all good.

I have one of those flat Linksys routers. Not sure of the model number but can check if need be.

What's the easiest way to determine where the problem lies?

:cool:

Last edited:
I won't be able to answer your question... but for the next guy/gal that comes along it will help them if you supply the model info and the connection speed you are paying for...

Yes, I will provide a little more detail soon. I had Time Warner refresh my signal (they claimed to anyway after trying to up sell me a "turbo" connection). Let me find out what my speeds should be based on my account, then, hard wire into my router and test the speeds and report back.

I'd like to know the following:

Router Model
Router Age
Types of Devices Connecting
ISP Speed

After that, it should be simple to figure out!

UPDATE:

When I plug into router with CAT5 using laptop I'm getting over 20Mbps, sometimes up to 30 for download speed. Upload speed are at the average (1Mbps) my ISP provider claims it should be for my plan. So, I'm nearly doubling the download speed though.

The problem is the WiFi connected devices - they are simply too far away and my router puts out a crappy WiFi signal. Always has now that I think about it.

I'm going to purchase a new router today.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/387412/High_Power_Wireless-N_600mW_Gigabit_Dual_Band_Router

If my problems continue I will chime back in here and troubleshoot further.

Thanks folks!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

New Router is awesome. In fact, I purchased the one without the Dual Band for only $99 and it works fine. I'm getting about 10Mbps on my PC where as before I was lucky to get 2Mbps. My son's PS3 and all our mobile devices browse much faster on the Internet.

I'm surprised at the lack of responses on this thread.

The information requested could have avoided the purchase, even though the router in question is a good router.

Can you tell me what your connection speed is? Go to the task manager and click on the network tab. The wireless connection should show a speed that might be fluctuating. If you are using USB dongles for wifi on the PCs in question then that would cause your range issue. The Amped! Routers are designed for max range, but a PCI or PCI-E adapter with 2 or 3 antennas would have you connected at 300n or 150 on the older router (the flat ones were all N IIRC).
Any kind of metal, monitors, or 2.4GHz devices around the router also hamper signal quality. My Linksys E4200 (a flat model) will give my phone range all the way out into the street from my 2nd story apartment. It's high up and in an open area though.

UPDATE:

When I plug into router with CAT5 using laptop I'm getting over 20Mbps, sometimes up to 30 for download speed. Upload speed are at the average (1Mbps) my ISP provider claims it should be for my plan. So, I'm nearly doubling the download speed though.

The problem is the WiFi connected devices - they are simply too far away and my router puts out a crappy WiFi signal. Always has now that I think about it.

I'm going to purchase a new router today.

Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N 600mW Gigabit Dual Band Router R20000G - Micro Center

If my problems continue I will chime back in here and troubleshoot further.

Thanks folks!

Why didn't you try a latency fix? That could of been a cheap fix. Download speeds are not everything. Which is the time it takes to packets to be sent and received. [latency,ping,ms] I click a link and boom, and I have terrible net.

Not using USB dongles. My desktop PC upstairs has a wireless NIC with a single, small antenna. The other wireless devices have built in NICs as well. PS3, iPad, and another laptop.

My PC is showing 54Mbps when I hover over the network icon but that can be misleading. I always do speed tests to be sure. My PC always said 54Mbps, even when I was getting 2Mbps download speeds.

Not sure what the latency fix is but to be honest, since I installed this new router I've had zero issues with everything. I will research it more and I still have my old router. Never know when you'll need one.

Back
Top Bottom