Router Question. "Probably Simple".

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCRMYZ

Banned
Hello, I was wondering if having two routers in one household was possible. I have a bad connection in my house and was planning on connecting on upstairs.

If you know anything about this can you please post here.

Anything helps, and if so contact me on aim.

All is apreciated.

elaborate please. I've done this but I need to know your situation. What kind of connections. Number of devices. Wired or wireless between routers? Repeaters?

To add, the one in there now is a Linksys, and I'm planning on adding a netgear.

If I understand correctly, you have an internet connection coming into a Linksys wireless router, and you want to add a Netgear router to the SAME network, no? Yes, you can do this. You will have to disable DHCP on the netgear router, and also assign it a static IP address that is in the same subnet as the Linksys, usually 192.168.1.1 by default. I suggest using 192.168.1.2 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask if you haven't changed the default subnet on the Linksys.

The thing is, I believe you will have to LINK the routers with an ethernet cable. I do not know if they will be able to wirelessly connect to eachother. In theory they SHOULD, but many times, cross-vendor solutions like that are flaky at best.

You may also want to change the channel that each router broadcasts on to avoid interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom