Router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
When using a router, does your router assign a new IP address everytime it is turned off and then back on unless you setup a static IP?

I'm trying to figure somethign out. A P2P program I use shows me as firewalled with unreachable status and very slow downloads, however, if I turn off my router a few times and back on I eventually get reachable non-firewalled status. This is annoying as heck. I usually keep my PC powered on as well as the modem and router, but I've had a couple power outages and stuck resetting the router a couple hundred times.

Any ideas or info to help me understand would be helpful. Using a Linksys router model bef211s4

If I connect to the p2p network with my modem I always connect well with terrific speeds.

Have you forwarded the ports that the program uses to your machine.

It is best practice to use a static IP on any machine you are forwarding ports to. If forwarding an individual port dosn't work try forwarding all ports to your machine. I think liksys calls it a DMZ. Don't leave it this way but you can give it a try for troubleshooting.

I did forward the ports, but that only helps until the router is powered off and back on again. I setup a static IP and had port forwarding and the application still didn't work.

And sadly, this router does not have any way to manually turn off the firewall. I wish it was that easy.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is it simply that a new IP address is being given that may be too high or too low for the p2p app?

That is impossible, if you have a static IP and you have opened the port that the P2P program requires you to open, then you should have no problem at all. Just curious if you actually set it up right?

I'm starting to think I did NOT set it up correctly, I just followed the information for my router off a website.

If I remember correctly, when I tried this I may not have even been able to connect to the internet. Is it possible, not saying it's the reason, but is it possible for an ISP to stop you from having a static IP?

When you set up your static IP did you type in the DNS information?

The ISP is not going to stop you from giving your computers behind the router a static IP. Just make sure the router itself is getting an dynamic IP and that the IP your giving your computer is in the same subnet as the router and is not being used by another computer or device.

For example:

Lan Router IP:

Computer IP

Also, make sure that any software firewalls are either disabled or set to let the port through. This includes Windows Firewall or MacAfee personal firewall, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom