Router Question:

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
If I was going to purchase a Router, what would be over kill for doing this. I've been looking at some of the Security services available and their a lot to consider when doing this. If I wanted to go nuts and buy a new router what would be hard to crack, break in to and or just be over kill. I'm pretty intelligent with PC's but Internet technology such as how routers work baffle me at times when your dealing with Topology and Network security.

Any Recommendations.

EDIT: Mabie I should look in to Hardware Firewalls. I've been reading up on them. Would it be possible to connect a Router to a Ethernet switch and then a hardware firewall. Or some sort of combination of the three. Would the software be periodically updated for this on the Firewall hardware and finally if any one can answer would thees three provide over kill security. :p

Last edited:
Why the need for so much security?
Unless your a banker, work for some kinda secret govt job or your filthy rich, then hackers/crackers are not going to waste their time getting a few bucks from you. A standard up to date router should be o.k. for security. If somebody with experience wanted to hack you, then they would do it regardless of your hardware/software. Happens all the time today in the big corporate world. Just ask the IT dept from Sony/Playstation

Yeah totally overkill. Most routers have firewalls built in. Just turn that on and only allow a whitelist of ports you need external access to.

Back
Top Bottom