router question

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3llfir3

Solid State Member
is it bad to connect to your routers config with wireless? What is it okay to change in the config when connected with wireless to the router?
I connected from my laptop to the routers config with wireless and changed some options in the menus but didnt save anything. I did get one error message and now my internet is running very slow. could i have damaged my router?

I doubt that you did. When I configure routers I use the LAN line, then test with wireless connection.

If you configure it wirelessly, you may make a change and not be able to get back in, unless you reset it via the rest button that you usually need a pin to press in for 10 seconds or so.

So use a LAN line, save you some time.

Thats the worst that could happen honestly, you lock yourself out.

You can't damage it by configuring it wirelessly.

come on, how easy is it to connect to a router with a cat5. If you can not go to the router, take the router to a desktop or notebook along with a short cat5 cable, configure and take back.

Config or update, best to have a direct connection. But if you dont have a network cable, you gotta do what you gotta do. :cool:

It doesn't do any harm to change router settings over your wireless connection. Even changing firmware shouldn't matter, but it is safer to use a LAN computer for that. (I do it wirelessly anyway).

so in terms of configuring wirelessly what is okay and what is not?? for example.. opening ports

You can do anything wirelessly. Including opening ports. If, for some reason, your wireless connection stops working, you can always use a cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom