Router Purchasing Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joppsta

Baseband Member
In short, I'm looking to buy a new router... my ISP is BE (link) and they provide a modem/router (wireless naturally) for you but I feel that this router's wireless capabilities are questionable... and I want to replace the unit (holding onto it so I am covered for tech support from them obviously) completely.

The main issue I've been having is the internet dropping on my home network which is provided by this piece of hardware. It's a Thomson TG585v7 just so we're all in the loop... I've been told by the tech support team "off the record" that it's a good enough piece of hardware but the wireless "isn't the best".

I've been looking at a few options for modem-routers and I accidentally looked at pure wireless routers. So far this is the router I'm looking to buy:

Billion BiPAC 7800N

I also looked at some linksys router-modems but I get the general impression from reviews that Linksys' offerings are poor? Which seems strange to me but ... you never know with tech these days so I'm steering clear unless advised otherwise...

In addition to modem-routers, as I originally said, I was looking at routers also... namely Linksys' offerings....

E4200

And when I say routers.. I mean I was going to buy this one until I realised it wasn't a modem... I also looked at the 3200 but I figure I want the best thing going right now.

On top of all this, I'm wanting to make sure the stuff I buy is futureproof since I believe there's a new networking standard being released? I saw it on THIS YouTube video... and since I am probably going to begin using powerline it's probably a good idea to jump on that bandwagon...

Nonetheless, very confused overall... but cheers in advance!

- Joppsta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom