router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sketchyguy

Beta member
recently, my internet has been extremely slow, and im not sure what's causing it. unplugging and plugging the router works makes surfing significantly faster, and here's my ping to google
Ping statistics for 74.xxx.xx.xx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 25ms

however, it gets worse and worse
Ping statistics for 74.xxx.xx.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 91ms, Maximum = 355ms, Average = 265ms

and even up to
Ping statistics for 74.xxx.xx.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Minimum = 449ms, Maximum = 1199ms, Average = 887ms

whats the problem and how can i fix it?

Spyware perhaps.

Download Spybot S&D and see what that turns up. Sounds to me like you have a program (either of your knowledge or not) that is hogging bandwidth...

Spyware perhaps.

Download Spybot S&D and see what that turns up. Sounds to me like you have a program (either of your knowledge or not) that is hogging bandwidth...

And to add to that, if you do have a program hogging bandwidth, you could open up Task Manager and look at the processes listed to see if you can identify the program process(es) that might be the "hogger".

An afterthought, when do you notice these descrepancies in dropping bandwidth ? Are the times somewhat similar, times of day or night that is ? Could be high rate of connectivity on that region on the internet. Example, Friday nights a lot of times things can slow down dramtically, compared to Sunday mornings.

thanks for the input, i'll look into it

And to add to that, if you do have a program hogging bandwidth, you could open up Task Manager and look at the processes listed to see if you can identify the program process(es) that might be the "hogger".

An afterthought, when do you notice these descrepancies in dropping bandwidth ? Are the times somewhat similar, times of day or night that is ? Could be high rate of connectivity on that region on the internet. Example, Friday nights a lot of times things can slow down dramtically, compared to Sunday mornings.

no, this happens everyday, it used to be very fast all the time. this is the case for my entire house too, as the other computers show the same speed as mine, and again, this wasent the case before

If this is a wireless router, check for piggybackers, especially if it is not encrypted. Watch the lights showing throughput when no one in your house is online.

no nvm its not the routers problem, i tried directly connecting my computer to my modem, and still got the same results. any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom