Router Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
What choice did I have?..

Send a message via AIM to SuxoR
Default Router Problem

Hey guys I've been having this problem with my router, the user name and password keep resetting themselves. Anyone know why this is happening?

I know the user name and password I set but it stills says it's wrong

Just throwing this out there
Thanks guys

Old 08-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Router Problem

Hello,

Has the router been set back to default? I would check that for sure. I would also make sure that the password and username is hard to guess. Could be that it is getting hacked by a neighbor and changed. Only if it is WiFi though.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to NetCablesPlus Send a message via Yahoo to NetCablesPlus

A good thing to do with any router that seems to be having problems is to go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers for the router. Can work wonders some times.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

If you know your way around your router then i would reset the entire router. There should be a little black button that you can push with a pen head or paper clip. Hold that button for 20 to 30 seconds and the router will reset itself. At that point you will have to log onto the router via hard wire connection (192.168.1.1) and type in the default user name and password (usually admin/admin, or admin and no password). At that point I would automatically setup a STRONG password on your router. Then call your ISP and get your setup instructions from them (entering your default gateway and what not). Then go in and setup a wirless (if needed) connection ENSURING that you again is a strong password (WPA or WPA2) on the signal.

Hope that helps.