Router/Network Adapter question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HitokiriNate85

Solid State Member
Hopefully by this weekend I'll have my new computer up and running in my room, but first I need to pick up a wireless router and network adapter. As far as a router goes, I was looking at this - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5250774&type=product&cmp=++&id=1051384663529

So after I looked at that, I went ahead and was browsing through network adapter and came across this - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01031&id=1051384666395

Would these two be compatible together? The network adapter didn't say what type of signal it could receive, and the router is a wireless G. Also, the router and adapter will be a floor apart, and since I'll be doing online gaming on my PC, I was wondering how could of a connection I could get from these two if they're functional together. Thanks.

Good choice on the router

The USB thing is a 10/100 802.3 Wired network card. I recomend purchasing PCI network cards, or using the intergrated network card on almost all computers made after 2000.

The USB thing is a 10/100 802.3 Wired network card. I recomend purchasing PCI network cards, or using the intergrated network card on almost all computers made after 2000.

I'm just finishing building my computer, and I'm not sure whether or not a there's an integrated card on it or not. Also, can any computer take a PCI network card, or would that require my mobo to be PCI formatted(for video cards, for example)? I don't really know much at all on the subject of networking, so I'm pretty clueless here.

Yup, any computer will take a PCI network card, except for a laptop of course. You will need drivers for the wireless card, but those are provided with the card on a cd. If you need help setting up your wireless network when you get all this, don't be afraid to ask ;) Wireless is sometimes tricky when first tried.

When Networking, you have to know the three types, A,B and G
A is unstable and is regulated on the 5Ghz Range but is 54Mbps. B is fairly decent and not super fast at 11 Mbps but runs at a 2.4Ghz range wich is more stable, but the one to go with is a G because it is also b compatible but is 54Mbps like A but is stable on the 2.4Ghz range like B. G is then way to go but B would be the runner up.

HitokiriNate85 said:
I'm just finishing building my computer, and I'm not sure whether or not a there's an integrated card on it or not. Also, can any computer take a PCI network card, or would that require my mobo to be PCI formatted(for video cards, for example)? I don't really know much at all on the subject of networking, so I'm pretty clueless here.

If it's new you have intergrated wired 802.3

Are you trying to connect the router and PC via wireless or wired? The network adapter you picked out is wired Ethernet, not wireless. You need a wireless NIC if you are going to connect them via wireless.

Wired is much faster, 100Mbps vs. 20-25Mbps for 802.11g wireless.

Is G any good though? I have heard there has been a bunch of problems conecting with those....

The only problem that I have seen in setting up a wireless G network has come from the many security settings. At a minimum every device has WEP (which isn't very secure, but better than nothing). Then you have WPA-PSK, WPA-AES, WPA2, etc. You have to figure out which is the highest level that is available in every device in your network.

Wireless in general can be an ultimate pain to get working if you don't know much about RF and wireless, which is why I recommend to anyone that doesn't need wireless not to use wireless. A desktop never needs to be wireless (or a PS2 or Xbox). Even a laptop if you are using it only at home doesn't need to be wireless most of the time. If you are physically too far from the router to run Ethernet it is much simpler to use HomePlug to connect than wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom