Router Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC_Caveman

In Runtime
I have a basic cable internet set up and use a direct connection form my modem box. When i try to run through a basic D-link 4 port router, i cant get an internet connection. I have no idea what the problem is and i'm probably looking over something.

Did you set up the router to use either a dynamic address or PPPoE? For PPPoE you need to login in with some info to your ISP.

For cable, dynamic addressing from your ISP is the typcial setting (unless otherwise noted by your ISP) Try powercycling the modem after you connect to the router.

If not, as much as you probably want to avoid doing this, call the ISP and they can guide you for setting up a router connecting to your modem.

As ReikokuKo mentioned, you may need to plug your PC into the router, and get to the router's configuration page and set up the router so that it is able to use your internet connection properly.

Can you provide more details?
Cable or DSL service?
RJ-45 from modem is plugged into WAN port on router?
What router are you using?

Im using Charter Cabel. and the router i was trying to use is a Lynksis WRT54G. All i want to do is play xbox 360, and my cabel modem wont even work with a direct connection.

I don't think the cabling could be an issue. All the cables you are using are pre-made right?

So.

Cable --> Modem --> WAN port on Router, LAN port --> PC

That's how it should be set up. I have Charter as well, you don't need a login. Make sure you plug the Internet into the WAN port (may be the Internet port), DON'T plug it into the LAN (1, 2, 3, 4) ports because those are for local computers and it won't work with an Internet line except through the WAN port.

Then you can use the 1-4 ports (LAN ports) to connect PC's, print servers, wired game consoles, printers, etc, and use wireless for wireless PC's, PDA's, smartphones, game consoles, laptops, etc.

I've tried this with two different routers, and both times i get the connection lights but no internet. And i have also tried to power cycle both of them. Im not sure why i cant register an internet connection through either router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom