Router Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link68759

Baseband Member
I got the WRT54G linksys router v6, and right away I've noticed two things- it gives me faster download speeds, but it's slow to communicate with my computer.

I could be playing an online game and get horrible lag, but no one else gets the lag and I don't effect the server. I think the router might ping very high every other minute, then go back down to a nice level before I have time to check. I have the linksys wireless g pci adapter, and so far if I use the linksys network moniter, i never get past aquiring network address or it retried to connect every other second. the easy button thing makes it harder and screw up more.

Is there a setting or settings I can change, or is this a faulty product?

What is the speed of your wireless card and the router. Is your card 54mbs ? I think that is a lot slower than if you had acat 5 cable connected .

someone just tell me how to test quality of service or packet loss or overall speed quality and reliability between me and router only

If you hover the cursor over the wireless connection icon in your task tray, it should tell you the signal strength, and what speed it is connecting at. To check for packet loss, do a continuous ping to your router... try both the LAN IP address and the WAN IP address.

Ok I pinged the router address. 50 pings gave me 0 lost packets and 3ms as the highest, but only one was 3ms. after doing another test of 100 pings, I got various responses from 1ms (most) 2ms and 3ms, with one at 998ms. I think that there is not problems with losin packets, the router just has issues transfering data at random times.

Yes, one of the first things I did when buying it. And just to be clear there is always one or two 1 second pings in every hundred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom