Router help...wont support another hardwired PC to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysNightOut

In Runtime
The router manual says to load another PC onto the network, just plug it in via ethernet to ethernet port, PC -> router back. It has slots for up to 4 PC's that way...but for some reason the **** thing doesnt work.

I tired it before and found out my Mobo's ethernet port was basically dead. So I bought a network card for my PC, now it runs good and says the LAN connection is good and working fine. Yet, the internet refuses to come up when I plug it in to the router.

The PC the router is hosted on works fine...when plugged up to the router, OR just to the modem. MY PC works fine ONLY when hooked up to the modem directly, it cannot host the router connection basically. So mine can't be on the network at the same time as the other one, because through the router my PC won't run the net...it's dumb!!! What the heck is wrong with it gahh. The router is configured properly...it says just plug a PC in hardwired and it should work normally. Mine just don't do it though for some reason.

I'm trying to use my PC as the host for the router for a short while, and it's been sitting off the net for 3 wks now because I can't figure it out. I need help gahhh! I don't have my network + yet, so I dunno this junk at all yet hahah. Thanks guys, someone lend me their wisdom!!!!!

-Chris

forgot to mention:

router is new belkin unit, dunno exact model, not home currently
pc network card is by dlink I think
modem is for verizon DSL,

We need to know the model, so when you get home than try giving us more information also.

Reason being, we need to know the model to verify that it's a router instead of a switch and then move on possibly looking for another solution.

Okay cool, thanks and np. I'll be home in a bit today and I will gather the info and post it up on here for you. You rock.

Bump it up! Got the info right here for you network gurus!!!

Service Provider: Verizon DSL
Modem Model: Westell 2200
Router Model: Belkin N1 Wireless Router

Host PC: HP Pavilion 733n (4yrs old or so now)
Wireless: 2 laptops run off the wi-fi from the router currently, an Apple iBook and an ABS laptop

That's the lowdown. I was reading someone else's thread...on IP configs not matching properly...maybe that's an issue...but usually that just autodetects and sets itself up I thought.

What's that mean...lol

I can't use the net on my PC I'm trying to hook up. I'm using a diff PC at a diff house right now lol. I'll be there though again tomorrow morning for a few hours 7am est - noon est.

Thanks!

Follow these steps below:

First open up a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and verify that you got an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS. Take note of this information.

If you don't recieve any IP address from the router or your IP address is not what you expected and it gave you 169.254.X.X, please note that DHCP on the router must be enable to be able to recieve an IP automatically, you can try opening up command prompt and typing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew

If you still can't recieve an IP, please download winsockxp, but backup your registry first before using it. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Now perform the following steps below.

1) ping the loopback address 127.0.0.1

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 2 if not don't proceed yet.

2) ping your IP address

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 3 if not don't proceed yet.

3) ping the default gateway

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 4 if not don't proceed yet.

4) ping the DNS IP

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 5 if not don't proceed yet.

5) ping 64.233.161.147

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 6 if not don't proceed yet.

6) ping www.google.com

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 7 if not don't proceed yet.

7) open up a web browser and go to www.google.com

Does it work? If yes you have Internet, if not you have a firewall issue or wrong configuration in the web browser.

Tell me which step you are stuck at.

My PC does have an IP I know because it was on a wireless cable connection for a longtime at a diff house when it was first built early in the year.

I'll try those steps though tomorrow morning and hopefully I can get it to work. I do run the regular windows firewall, but nothing else. I have mcafee corporate, but that doesn't block anything like a firewall does, it's striclty for spyware/virus protection real-time only.

Thanks for that info though Law. I knew about ipconfig commands, and ping and all that stuff, didn't go that far yet though. Thanks again and I'll try those steps in the morning and I'll post up my results. Thanks so much!

Well just plugged everything in to check on it, but hey guess what. I'm on my PC hooked up to the router LOL. It worked itself out I guess...maybe it needed a reboot I dunno, because now it works just fine and I just plugged it back in. Woohoo. Thanks for all your help Law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom