Router Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
Okay so basically I have been elected to try and get this to work at work. we have a network at work that kicks out ip addresses. I need to add a wireless router. Netgear wpn824 to the network. The reason i need this router is because we need wireless access for customers to use the internet. Provided we give them access. as well as wireless for emplyees to gain access to the server. Please help.

If you already have a network that is functional don't add the Netgear as a wireless router, you want to add it as an access point. What this mean is that the Netgear will provide wireless connection for your worker but it will route all that through your current network. So the only way to make this is to:

First, connect a computer to the LAN port of the Netgear, DHCP should kick in. Log in using the default gateway you get with ipconfig /all and the username/password.

Second, change the LAN IP to that of the subnet your current network is in, change the subnet mask, change the default gateway. The subnet mask and default gateway should be the same as the current network. Take a look at other computers if you don't know it.

Third, you want to setup the security, enabling WPA or if your wireless clients don't have a card that support WPA, you'll have to go down to WEP. You can choose to broadcast the SSID which makes it easier for them to locate. You can choose to enable MAC filtering but it's a lot of administrator work when you have a lot of computers.

Fourth, you want to disable DHCP on it, because this will interfere with your current network. Then save your work.

Tip* connecting your access point to your current network without any firewall between them is consider risky. But a lot of SOHO do this because they don't want to purchase expensive firewall. However I advised you to always consider the risk with this setup and that you should invest in some kind of application firewall to control the traffic coming in from the AP (access point). The setup I'm talking about is connecting the LAN port of the Netgear to the a port on the switch. What I recommend is a firewall between those two.

Hope this help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom