Router full need 1 more connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowyo123

Beta member
Hey there,

I have another computer that needs to be wired for security reasons that I would like to connect to the internet, wired. I do not have the option of connecting it wireless. My router is already full with other connections so I am not sure what to do.

This is my setup:

1 wired computer
1 wired laptop(wired for security reasons)
2 wired xbox 360

I have one of my wired xbox 360's nearby the computer that needs to be wired, so if I could split that connection, it'd be excellent. I know I could upgrade to a router with 8 ports, but I just bought a new router recently, so don't want to take that path. Could I use an ethernet splitter? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sounds like you need a switch. Just plug it in and the router should take care of the DHCP and junk (assuming you use DHCP). You don't have to spend a lot, I got a $7 knock-off brand switch from Fry's and it works great.

Like Greg said, a switch would be the best solution. Just open up a port on your router...and plug in a cable from your router to the main port on the switch... then plug the stuff that won't fit on the router, into the switch =).

care to elaborate why you use gl computers?

I work for the federal government and they come in handy when one of my sons or wife is on our home computer. They are great when I need to finish extra work on the weekends.

Sounds like you need a switch. Just plug it in and the router should take care of the DHCP and junk (assuming you use DHCP). You don't have to spend a lot, I got a $7 knock-off brand switch from Fry's and it works great.
Like Greg said, a switch would be the best solution. Just open up a port on your router...and plug in a cable from your router to the main port on the switch... then plug the stuff that won't fit on the router, into the switch =).
Thanks both of you. Sounds like a very easy solution and I will have it setup in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom