Router/firewall with VPN connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
Currently my company has an old Win2000 server machine set up to handle incoming VPN connections. Clients of course use the Windows VPN connection to connect.
This machine is getting older and I've already had a few non-vital components go out on it and I'm keeping it running a well as I can, but I'd like to look at a replacement.

I'd love to get away from a dedicated machine for this one task and have started looking at routers with built in VPN connectivity...mostly low and mid range stuff (Netgear, Linksys, DLink etc...in the sub-$500 range). Most of these units look good on paper, but it seems that they require a 3rd party client software to complete the connection. I found a Linksys that allows connection using the Windows client, but it limits these connections to a max of 5. I'd like to stick with using the Windows client because I have a good many off site users that would not be able to set up the 3rd party clients, requiring me to travel around and set them up myself.

Main VPN uses are for VNC/Remote Desktop control of machines on the company LAN and telnet connection to a UNIX server via an emulator.

Any suggestions for a VPN box in that price range that will allow connection using the Windows client?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom