Router decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasTech

In Runtime
I'm looking to upgrade from my old Linksys BEFSR41 router I can't get more than 8megs out of it. I have 2 pc's and 1 laptop. The PC's will be wired. Comcast just upped the speed to 16megs and it's $10 bucks more for 22megs. I've been reading a lot about the newer N draft wireless. So I think that's what I'm going with.

I read that it's faster depending on your ISP of course but also gives a lot more range and prices don't seem to be that much more compared to G. So can you guys tell me what you would go with? Here are the ones I'm looking at below. What is Dual Band? The faster you can reply the better. These sales end real soon. If you have any others to add that you think are better go ahead.

I can get a Recert NETGEAR WNR2000-100NAR Wireless-N Router for $20.00 not sure about buying Recerts - what do you think?

Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router - around $80.00
(I read if you don't buy Version 1 you bought junk. V2 & V3 are no good a lot of problems.)

Linksys WRT120N Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch - $80.00

D-Link - DIR-615 Wireless N Router - $40.00

NETGEAR WNR2000-100NAR Wireless-N Router for $60.00

D-Link DIR-628 RangeBooster N Selectable Dual Band Router - around $70.00

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Router - $100.00

Thanks

http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/best-router-buy-212257/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/any-one-use-dlink-gaming-routers-212408/

These 2 threads have a lot of info about Linksys and D-Link routers. In both, i believe, i talk about my experience with the DIR-628 D-Link router and how good it has been for me. I would advise that one or another D-Link router.

Dual Band is simply that it will transmit on a 5GHz band instead of the normal 2.4GHz band. This is useful if you have cordless phones in the house which can affect the signal of a 2.4GHz router since they are on the same band range.

Yea, thanks I read both of them before posting my own. I also did a search. I really thought I would find more info then I did. So you think a good choice is the D-link 628? What about the Recert Netgear for $20?

Do you think I need N draft or would it be ok for my setup to go with a G? What am I really losing with just G?

Thanks

D-Link makes great routers. I would go with them before a netgear although theirs are not bad either.

What you loose by going from n to g is a bit of speed. Depending upon your range from the router n can go up to 108 while g is 54. If you are not moving big files around it is not a huge issue. For internet only you are loosing nothing.

Because of the prices that I just received in a promo. I think I'm going to go with this LS or NG below. What do you think? I figure although their G it should be ok for me until I get a newer LTop. At this price as long as I get a good one it should work great for me even if I up my Cable speed to 22meg, right?. Here is my main concern. Will this LS WRT54G2 or WGR614NAR give me these higher speeds 16meg or 22meg for sure if it's working right? Especially on my wired PC's? The Ltop in network now is daughters and she isn't home much. As you can see I'm trying not to spend too much on one right now. I figure by the time I need something faster the Technology will be a lot different. I'm also putting the WNR2000 N draft on this list to.

Recertified: LINKSYS WRT54G2-RM IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G - $23 + ship

Recertified: NETGEAR WGR614NAR IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless G - $10 + ship

Wireless-N Router

Recertified: NETGEAR WNR2000-100NAR IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 - $20 + ship

Ok, guys here is what I went with. Comes with the N Notebook Adapter free so why not get combo. I read a lot of the reviews on the router and most of them were high praise. Hopefully I got a good one. I can't use N adapter in my Ltop so maybe I'll sell it. Anybody need one let me know. Thanks

D-Link DIR-625 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft RangeBooster N Router - Retail

D-Link DWA-642 RangeBooster N Notebook Adapter - Retail

Original Price: $92.68
Discount: -$39.99
Combo Price: $52.69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom