Router constantly dropping connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lachesismoirae

Beta member
Hey there, this is my first time posting. I'm having this issue, I think with my wireless router, and so I'm turning to the internets for advice!

OK, well, I have an Asus laptop that I use for gaming, specifically MMORPGs like Warcraft and Champions Online. However, I'm experiencing constant lag spikes and occassional dropped connections. Its really frustrating!

I'm not sure where the problem is, but I think its my wireless router. I've used my laptop on other networks with absolutely no lag issues. However, when friends visit they are able to run Warcraft on my network without these lag spikes either.

I get fairly good results when I run Speedtest.org--

Currently I have I linksys WRT110 router, as seen here: (Newegg.com - Recertified: LINKSYS WRT110-RM IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft RangePlus Wireless Router)

So my question is, is there a way to fix this problem? Do I need a new router? If so, which one should I buy to ensure there is no more connection dropping? Thanks!!

Hhmmmmmmmm,

Is it a recert like the linked one?

Have you got the newest firmware in it.
Have you recently added new phones in your house or other electrical devices, or moved them around.
Do you have the newest wifi drivers for the comp?

You can go into the router config page, and change the channels. The default is 6, so changfe it to an end one.. channel 1 or 11.

I'd go through your 'puter and make sure you're up todate on all your drivers and winupdates.

Welcome tol the forum

No, I don't think its a recert. My roommate bought it, so I'll need to ask him about the recert, firmware, changing the channel, etc. He doesn't game, so he isn't particularly concerned about the issue.

I'm not sure what you mean about drivers for the computer. Where would I find those? I'm not sure what kind of receiver or card my computer has--whatever came with it I guess and I use Vista. Sorry, my tech level isn't very high! Thanks for suggestions!

I'm not sure what you mean about drivers for the computer. Where would I find those? I'm not sure what kind of receiver or card my computer has--whatever came with it I guess and I use Vista. Sorry, my tech level isn't very high! Thanks for suggestions!

Go to Start>Control Panel>System & Maintenance>Device Manager. You can view them there. Drivers are what makes your hardware and your operating system communicate to each other.

Time to become techy...

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/WRT110-V10_UG_81201A-WEB,0.pdf
Is the router manual. Its quite simple to play with.. so take a peak, and find out your firmware number and change the channel.

BTW, none of these changes will change the settings on the computer.

Linksys by Cisco - WRT110 Support Is the link to the newest firmware, which is 1.0.05.

As your laptop is most likely only "G" try turning off the "N" setting.

Your not the first i think to have this issue.

For your wireless card driver, I'd let winupdate find it... it'll be in there if theres a new one.

I'd suggest first trying to change wireless channels, as PatonB already suggested. it just takes 2 min. and it might solve all your problems right there.

Thanks for the advice!

I updated my Vista winupdates and looked for new Linksys router drivers (there aren't any, still version 1.0). Additionally, I had my roommate go into the router setup, but we couldn't find any reference to "channels" or G vs. N setting. Any idea where such setting would be? I'm in the precess of reading that manual you linked PatonB, but haven't yet seen reference to channels.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help! I used to be a main raid healer in WoW until these connection issues started and I had to give up the game. Its pretty hard to heal when you get a 5-10 second lag spike every 10 seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom