Router causing slow speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtremesT

Solid State Member
Hey, My dad just bought a new router, its the Netgear wgr614 since he got a new laptop with a wireless card. Before the new router, when i would download somethin the speed was usualy around 350 kbps. Now it seems since the new router, my download speeds are just jumping around, and im getting frequent disconnections. My downloads start out at like 50kbps, then they will get up to about 180kbps, and then it will just go up to 350 like normal, and just jump around. My dad tells me its just a coincidence, and that its just our ISP, and i dont know much about Networking, i thought i would get some info from you guys. Is it the ISP or is it the router? or somethin else? P.S. Sorry if this is kinda a "NooB" question, as i said i dont know much about networking.. If i didnt include enough information just let me know.

too much to call a coincidence... try hookin the old one up if you still have it, and prove to your old man that you're right :D

Well, the new router was the cause of my problems, and so my dad put in the old one. And its fixed, but now my dad is disapointed that he cant use his laptop Wirelessly connected. So does anyone have any idea why it would be causing me to have bad downloads and get dissconnections?

just a guess but perhaps the router reserved some bandwidth for the wireless side becasue the wireless side operates more like a hub than a switch, which meens more packet overhead.

Well, We put back the new router, and then we updated the firmware and the drivers and all that stuff for the router, and now its like im getting BETTER speeds! hah some things about networking confuses me so much... anyway, problem solved.. thanks for you help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom