Which Router to Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiZcO

In Runtime
Well, moving into a new home. have two computers... gonna be getting Cox's High speed interenet service. main computer which is for gaming is where the router will be located. now see im only connecting one other computer that will be wireless.. i have a wireless card that is in the computer but im not sure what the brand is and what type it is. can any wireless router work with the card? and what kind of Wireless router should i buy just to connect to one computer wirelessly? im not gonna be doing ethernet to the other comp just connecting with a wireless card. i saw the Linksys G router at wal-mart for 50 bucks... its wireless but is there a cheaper router i can get for what i need to do? Thanks.

dont go for cheap ones. Linksys or netgear are good ones. You have to pay once just make sure that your wireless card is supported by the router. You can have a look at the web or ask some technical personal in the shop about compitibility of wireless card with router

Well my PCI Wireless card is. a Netgear 54mbps WG311v3 will it work with any Linksys G Router?

What kind of router or routers do you have now?

That netgear card is 802.11g, so any 802.11b or 802.11g router will work. You will probably only see 802.11g routers, as the b standard ones have been phased out.

It is my personal practice to (when able) match hardware vendors with wireless networking. I prefer D-Link for my network. Sometimes cross vendor applications don't always work as expected. With 802.11g you should be good, but if you look into the 802.11n or the Pre-N, or MIMO type stuff, I would STRONGLY recommend same vendor for wireless hardware.

I don't have any kind of router right now. when i bought my computer from my cousin. it gave me the wireless PCI card with it. its netgear. and i think im just gonna buy the Linksys wireless G router from wal-mart for 50 bucks.. its 802.11g i believe so it should work fine i would asume.

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wal-Mart

Thats the router from wal-mart.. i dont wanna order a good router from newegg etc and wait...

But i do have a question about this router.. its says

Modulation
802.11b: CCK, DQPSK, DBPSK
Draft 802.11g: OFDM

Does this mean it runs at 802.11b or 802.11g? :(

I believe any router works with any wireless card i.e My main pc is on a netgear router and my other pc which uses my main pc to gain internet access is using a belkin wireless card, but as ethereal said, problems can occur with cross over vendor usage.
+ netgear is the way to go

I guess I would first ask you if your using the gaming computer as wireless, If so you should get the Linksys WRT54GS, it does channel switching, which means it looks for the fastest signal/channel, this is not good if your connecting through a VPN, as your connection would drop everytime it switches channels, no if your using just any old computer for the wireless connection then I would recommend the LinksysWRT54G, these are two totally separate routers, the I deal with daily, you can configure wireless security very easy which keeps the leeches from stealing your broadband signal, which slows things down.

Thanks Rezrunner for the Reply... im using the wireless for the old computer which will be doing daily Surfing... ive had experieced with Wireless on my gameing machine.. every 5-10 minutes i would have Ping Spikes. and it was because of the wireless card.. but when i hooked it stright in with ethernet i didnt have the problem.. im never gonna run wireless on a gameing machine EVER lol... so the Linksys router will work for me.. ok.. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom