Roommate using up all the bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinto

Beta member
One of my suitemates across the hall is on the same network as me and is being a jerk about using up all the bandwidth. He is using limewire and it boggs down my bandwidth badly. im wondering if there is any way that i can limit the ingoing/outgoing bandwidth that he is using? what im looking for is a way to block the ports that limewire mainly uses but i only know how to block ports with a router. and i dont think sneaking into his room and instaling a software firewall that blocks those ports is an option. any help would be great.

Get NetLimiter, secretly install it on his comp, and limit him to however many KB/sec you want him to have. If you want that capability in the router, its going to take quite an expensive router.

is there not a way to solve this that doesnt involve installing software onto his computer to limit his kb/sec. i mean all i want to do is limit his file sharing bandwidth usage. since i just moved into a dorm im not familiar with how the network is set up. if i cant limit his use of the network bandwidth is there any way to "reserve" a portion of the bandwidth just for my self.

You could always smash his PC with a hammer, but I guess that might be a little violent.

I've heard of Netlimiter, but besides that I don't know. I can tell you though that to limit his bandwidth you'll have to either tamper with the router or his computer, since his connection doesn't through your computer but through the router; therefore there's no way you can mess with his connection from your pc.

Well if your on the same network you can access the router from your computer if you know the ip and account. The ip would usually be the default gateway if its a broadband router. Then filter 6346 through 6349 both TCP and UDP.

If you really want to get him piss off, filter his ip address :p

I got a better idea, give the admin of the network, an "anonymous" tip of p2p usage. That will fix the problem......... :cool:

uzi9mm said:
I got a better idea, give the admin of the network, an "anonymous" tip of p2p usage. That will fix the problem......... :cool:

Thats a great idea. Besides admin's hate p2p programs for this reason. I bet the admin would crack down really quick about that.

When you notice him using the internet try to use as much bandwidth as possible to make it slow for him, and maybe he will get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom