RJ45 ethernet cable - Can I crossover the crossover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maestro

Solid State Member
I have 2 PCs linked with 10M patch and 10M crossover via a back2back plug. The machine that has the crossover end is near the phone socket where I want to install a 2 or 4 port ADSL modem/router, to which I wish to connect both machines.

Can I add a short piece of crossover cable via another back2back plug to the end of the crossover cable (i.e. will that convert the crossover to a patch cable?) or do I have to replace the 10M crossover cable with a patch cable?

Thanks because this might save me some work. Though I know I should have used 1 x 20M patch and 1 x 1M cross (it`s a long story) and just removed the cross.

If you connect two crossover cables with a coupler (back2back plug) you have just created a plain straight through cable.

So, if you have a 10M crossover cable connected to a 10M Patch cable and connect another 10M crossover cable to it you will essentially have a 30M patch (regular) cable.

Thanks Holocron! I was really hoping that was the case. Saves me a lot of cable pulling! :)

I was going to ask, are we going through a wall or something, but it sounds like we are. Otherwise, I'd just make one to length or buy one that's close.

Hehe yep. :) Actually, it goes through 2 walls and a floor!

The cable is already in though, which is why I was asking about adding to one end of it rather than replacing a section of it because the section that would need to be replaced is the crossover, which is the one that goes through everything. :(

The reason it`s in 2 parts is because I was intending to see if I could make it through a `short-cut` with 10M of both types of cable (to give a choice of cross or straight) but it didn`t work out so I had to go the longer route and concatenate them. The cables are both pre-moulded types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom