RJ11 to RJ45 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2018, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default RJ11 to RJ45

Good afternoon,

So please excuse my lack of knowledge, hoping to expand it as my time in this group continues. I have an older house built in 1968 and unfortunately it is wired with a cable that doesn't allow me to use it for any sort of consoles, tv's, etc. I'd like to connect all of these through an ethernet cable and from my (limited) understanding, I'd need to replace all this wire to transition from RJ11 to RJ45?

Has anyone tried this? I currently have ATT for Cable, Internet and Phone. Currently the only "ethernet" port runs to our modem which is then distributed to our main computer. Unfortunately, just about everything else in the house runs off of WiFi otherwise we'd have to run 100's of feet of cable through the interior of house. I'd like to keep that all out of sight and do an in-wall installation. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

-alexm55

Thanks in advance

Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: RJ11 to RJ45

RJ11 and 45 are connecting ends, the info you want is what kind of cable is ran through your walls. Judging by the age and the ends I'd be inclined to guess Cat 3 which would all need to be replaced with a minimum of Cat 5e to do what you want.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for the response,

Unfortunately this is something that I was expecting, do you know how hard it'd be to do all of this? Currently the access point is in my basement, so it is easy to access.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

That depends entirely on your house layout and how comfortable you are with running cable through a house. I would run cable to the bulk of where your gear is that needs to be hard wired. An easy area where you can bundle and run in one go like taping 4 cables together and running that all at once to one central area. Use 3 ports for the devices that need cable in that area, and the 4th for a wireless expander. Try to remember that you're limited to how many cables you can run to the gateway without additional switches.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethernet, rj11, rj45