restricting access to network by MAC address

Status
Not open for further replies.

benwaynet

Beta member
I'm looking for a product that will let me restrict access to our network (LAN, WLAN, and WAN) by MAC address. Something like a radius server but using MAC addresses not username and password.

Thanks,jb

there are a lot of different hardware solutions that can do this, not just Cisco. The question then becomes, how much are you willing to spend and for what purpose will it serve?

Doing hardware authentication for remote access is really a very touchy subject as most Corperate Security people will tell you, Hardware is not secure.

I know I can do it on each switch, but I'm looking for a enterprise solution so I only have one place to manage all the MAC addresses. What I want to do is keep anyone from plugging a non-company computer into a live jack. we've had issues with vendors and employees bringing in computers and plugging them into the network.

Can't you setup the DHCP server to only lease to specific IP's? That would take care of the problem, but depending on the number of machines you have could make for a lot of overhead...

Also, when you setup the DHCP you could assign the unauthorised mac's a very tight scope and protect them away from the rest of the network.
I'm assuming that this is for security and virus protection...

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom