Restart over internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorithad

In Runtime
Ok, so I'm going to be going away for a trip soon, but want to keep one of my servers online while I'm away. However, I know that problems do arise from time to time, so I want to be able to restart the server over the internet.

The machine's currently running windows 2000 if that makes any difference.

How would I go about setting this up?

realvnc (google it) would do what you want. so would window's remote desktop connection. just get either of those, configure it and you can access the server any time you like.

Thanks for your fast reply. Through that, I was able to find out that remote desktop would in fact, not work on a windows 2000 professional machine. Though it will on a win2k server machine. Good to know, but it didn't help me.

Looking into realvnc, I realised that it was pay software. I'm cheap.

However, I did find this: UltraVNC: Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

Its pretty much a free, open source alternative to realvnc. It works better than I would have hoped, and will ensure that I won't have any difficulties while I'm on the road.

Thank you.

Actually remote desktop does work on Win2K as I use it frequently. You just download and install it from Microsoft. It runs exactly the same as it does on XP. You might also want to look into an Integrated Lights Out card for your server. You can power on a PC over the net with it even if the power has gone out. As long as the ILO is connected to the network and the machine has power going to it, you can remotely power it up after a failure.
HP Integrated Lights-Out - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually remote desktop does work on Win2K as I use it frequently. You just download and install it from Microsoft. It runs exactly the same as it does on XP. You might also want to look into an Integrated Lights Out card for your server. You can power on a PC over the net with it even if the power has gone out. As long as the ILO is connected to the network and the machine has power going to it, you can remotely power it up after a failure.
HP Integrated Lights-Out - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have you ever used one of these cards I would be interested as to how it works. It sounds pretty cool.

Have you ever used one of these cards I would be interested as to how it works. It sounds pretty cool.

We have them in each of our servers at work. The corporate honks are the only ones that use them and I think they have only used one of them one time. But better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

We have them in IBM servers too. Not sure if they are the same exact product or one made by/for IBM.

Are they only compatible with HP servers?

ILO cards are, yes. But, they are made by HP, for HP servers. ILO cards wont work in a dell for example.
There are plenty of other remote management cards available that work in a variety of servers based on unit size of the server as well as other compatibility factors. The company that I work for also uses HP strictly, so we have ILO as well. But, I've also worked with DellDRAC cards, which are similar to HP as far as compatability and I've also used an eRIC X, which is universal. If you want to search for cards, don't search by ILO. Instead search by Remote Server Management or something like that. ILO is the most popular, but it's like searching for a "Band-aid" when what you really want is a bandage...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom