Resetting..

Status
Not open for further replies.
laptop.... XP home SP2..... Broadcom wireless
Linksys WRT54g router
Deesktop XP home SP1...... Hardlined

long story short home network won't work, after sudden router death, and new router.

All usual methods to solfve it haven't worked.

How was your previous network set up before the death of the router?
Was the router doing DHCP, or did you have static IP Addresses?

Your Linksys router should have a DEFAULT IP ADDRESS of 192.168.1.1. On each computer, go to START > RUN, then type 'CMD' and press enter. You should now have a command prompt open. Next step is to type IPCONFIG with the computer plugged into the router. If your computer is 192.168.1.X, try performing a 'PING 192.168.1.1' to see if you can ping the router.

If your PC's come up as 169.X.X.X, then you are not getting IP addresses from the Linksys router. If you want to reset the router to factory default, there should be a small button on the back of the router. That button will be labeled 'RESET' and you will need a sharp pencil, paper clip, or safety pin to press it.

Hello.......

Its been setup as DCHP Server.
the ipconfig off the laptop shows:

ip 192.168.1.100
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
dchp serv 192.168.1.1
dns serv 24.153.22.67
The desktops same but ip address is 192.168.1.101

the router says:

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP
IP Address: 69.196.XXX.XXX
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Default Gateway: 69.196.xxx.xxx
DNS 1: 24.153.22.67
DNS 2: 24.153.23.66

I have never been able to ping or remote assist my desktop. Everything worked perfect till my router started messing up. The odd time i will be able see the desktop but unable to access it.

ok... I re-read your previous thread... didn't notice at first that you linked an old thread...

You need to better describe the problem you are having. From reading your OLD thread, I am under the assumption that BOTH computers can access the internet, but cannot ping eachother. Have you made sure that the wireless connection you are using is connected to YOUR router, and that you didn't accidently set it up on someone else's network?
please try the following....

go into your router, and your laptop, make sure that the SSID MATCH for each. If you have neighbors using similar hardware, it could be VERY possible that you are just on someone elses network.

Thanks Dragon...

Yes i am on my own router...... WPA PSK protected. I have a little more knowledge than beginner user so you can be a little more advanced if you wish........ But i might ask for some exlpaining....

Basically last time my friend was here with her laptop... the laptop could ping her, she could ping me, but neither cuold ping or access the desktop. But I cann't do anything with my own setup. The oddness to me is the inability to use remote assistant even before my router problem.

I've changed workgroup names many times. Uninstalled and reinstalled the file and print shareings aswell

It could possibly be asharing issue but no settings have been changed since it was working. All firewalls as faras i can tell have been disable. Desktop only runs SP1.

If you can figure this out you'd be Da Bomb

Just a thought... could my router dieing have craped out my desktop NIC?

lol... sorry, wasn't trying to make you feel like a Noob.... just an interesting problem.

Unfortunatly, I am not at all familiar with remote assistant....

Now.... as far as not being able to ping the desktop, can you ping the router from the desktop? If the internet works on the desktop, but the pings aren't.... it would seem that the desktop is denying ICMP requests.... which would suggest some type of firewall.

In all honesty, Windows is SUCH A PAIN IN THE *** to try to network computers together for filesharing....

You have tried to disable the shares on all computers and re-enable them, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom