Reset router now nothing works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsider1120

In Runtime
I reset my router by press the reset button on the back and now nothing but my base computer can connect to the internet like my xbox360 keeps failing the DNS test and laptop cant connect. Any help?

ok, have you tried to save the router config, shut it down, and power it back up?

Is there any type of setting in the Xbox config to MANUALLY enter the DNS info?

What about your laptop, is it getting an IP address from the router?

What address is the router?
what addresses do the laptop & XBOX get?

This is really starting to bug me now.. well i turned the power off on my router then turned it back on in abit then my computer here wouldnt connect to the internet but COULD connect to my router the default gateway was 192.168.1.1 ( You were in my other thread you know what im talkin about ) so then my xbox worked fine. Now i turned the power off again then back on later now my computer works and my xbox doesnt!!

If theres a spot on my xbox360 to put dns address which i think is 255.255.255.0 or something should i

no, that is a subnet mask... DNS would be an actual IP address... it is what your browser goes to in order to find info about webpages location.... YOU know a webpage as google.com, but in reality, the REAL address is 72.14.207.99 (one of them anyways). The DNS server makes it easier to remember webpage NAMES rather than NUMBERS.

Anyways.... I THINK I MIGHT know what your problem is... I know that with MY DSL, BEFORE I had a router, I had the computer connected directly to the modem. When it was set up like this, I would have to open a client on the PC to connect to the internet service with the username / password. When I did this, the COMPUTER had the IP address given to my by the ISP, not a 192.168.x.x address......
THEN, when I got a router, I put the DSL account info (username / password, etc.) into it, and I NO LONGER had to use the client on the PC.

The thing that isn't right, you posted in your last thread.....
Outsider1120 said:
Local Area Connection enabled

IP Address: 70.31.148.53
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gatewat: 70.31.148.1

Wireless network connection enabled

Ip Adress: 192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

This would suggest that either
1. your PC is connected DIRECTLY to the DSL modem
2. someone ASSIGNED a STATIC IP address to your PC rather than using DHCP from the router
3. The router has your computer set in the DMZ zone.

My recommendation would be to RESET the router to factory defaults, and re-enter all your info.... Make sure the DHCP pool on the router has enough addresses in it to cover all of your devices.

LOL i think i found my problem i am such a DUMASS.

My ethernet cable from my modem was not connected to the "Internet" socket on my router it was just in some other socket. I think my problem is solved

EDIT - Well it was all fine and dandy i was on my comp here and my 360 both online it was great! Then all the sudden they both just disconnect from the internet and i couldnt get it back so then i powered my router on and off and its workin now ( for awile i hope )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom