Replacing phone line. What kind should i use?

skeeter_ca

Baseband Member
My in-house phone line needs to be replaced, a lot of static. Hoping it will help clean up and speed up my internet DSL. I need to lay 100ft of line to get my router next to my computer. Is there a difference in the line you buy at radio shack and any others. Not looking to spend a fortune but don't want to totally cheap out on it either if it will make a difference.

skeeter

Your internet speed depends on how far you are from the DSL switch and your ISP. The new lines may help a tad but not too much.

I would say any shielded cable would be good. I don't know much about phone lines though so shielded cable would make sense to me.

yes I understand the DSL distance vs speed thing. However when Verizon came out to check the line because of slow internet. He found my house lines had been chewed up by rats in the attic. When we first moved into the house there were a lot of rats but they are long gone now. I have a lot of static on the house line due to this. according to the repairman. This might be causing a problem too.

skeeter

you could use cat 3 wire and do not run it parallel with high voltage wiring...
better yet, if you were to run cat5e then you could easily switch from phone to to ethernet in the future

Last edited:
Well, I did it. I replace my chewed up old static filled phone line with a cat5e cable. I bought 100ft length of Ethernet cat5e cable off of ebay for about $8 + free shipping. Cut both ends off and installed a phone connection end on one and stripped the other end which I attached to the phone company box outside and removed the old line. No static on phone anymore. My internet speed jumped from 130kbps to 750kbps. It made a big improvement. Over 5 times greater speed. Now it's livable till some higher speed internet comes along. Thanks for your help.

skeeter

Back
Top Bottom