repeating wireless signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
The only High speed internet solution on my street is Dial-up or satellite. But less than 1/2 mile across a open field we have friends with comcast cable inteernet service.
I heard from our local computer networking guy that if we have a "line of sight" with our friends house we could be a wireless repeater and carry the signal to our house.

What would I need to set up this sort of "bridge" ?

Try an ad hoc network. To be honest, I don't know if ad-hoc networks can even have an incoming internet connection because I'm pretty sure its purely P2P.

Even if the ad-hoc network works, you'll need to set up a node every 35 meters or so with an 802.11g and I don't know if 802.11n is available for commercial use yet, but even with that, the maximum distance is 70 meters.

I suggest two cantennas. One hooked up to a wireless AP at your friends house, and one hooked up to your laptop, desktop, or AP at your house. Cantennas can pick up omnidirectional networks easily at 1 mile distance with no obstacles, but you would likely have a poor connection. Two directional antennas pointing toward each other should produce the best results.

To do this, you will need:

1) One wireless AP at your friends house, preferably one with a removable antenna (so you can plug in a cantenna).

2) One wireless equipped device at your house with an external antenna hookup.

3) Two properly built cantennas.

4) A clear LOS between the two properly directed cantennas.

Cantennas are home made directional antennas. They are very easy to build and can be very effective if tweaked properly. You can also buy directional antennas online, but they are usually expensive (and not so fun).

It should be a fun and challenging experiment, but if you do it right, it should work out nicely. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom