Removing client from non-existing domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundance

Beta member
Hello all,

I have a situation were I have 10 Win 2000 Pro workstations that were set up on a domain. The server was now changed out and there is no longer a domain. Therefore, the workstations have a dropdown asking if the user want to log onto "This computer" or the "XXXXX" domain (that no longer exists. The users log onto "This computer" and start using their software.

However, soon after swaping out the server the workstations would randomly reboot from time to time In the even viewer, I notice that certian services not that there the domain controller cannot be reached (because it does not exist). I would like to get the workstations so that they do not even have the dropdown at login given the choice to log onto the domain. I want it as if the workstations were never part of the domain to see if that will resolve the random reboots.

The dump logs do not provide me with much to go on.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not proficient with Domains or Active Directory at all.

You should be able to remove them from the domain.

Right click on my computer and go to properties.
Click on the network identificaiton tab.
Click on properties.
In the window, choose workgroup and use whatever name you like. just make sure you use the same one across all computers.

Let us know if this doesn't work. (You'll need admin permissions to do this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom