Remove XP Pro Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Baylis

Beta member
Greetings
Is there ANY way to remove workgroups/ non domain web clients and create a new network with a clean slate?
Due to my own lack of networking knowledge and NIS2003 it took me all last week to get my network up and running
Now I can almost teach a course on XP Networking, though I find it hard to believe that Windows wonÂ’t allow you to simply delete workgroups in Explorer or with a registry tweak
I uninstalled the LAC but when I rebooted, Windows automatically created a new LAC (No hardware wizard)
All suggestions are much appreciated
Cheers
Ted

Ok, I thought that you were referring to LAN but I didn't want to assume anything.
Well, this is an interesting question as all I've done in the past is simply connect a PC to a new workgroup or domain and the other workgroup may show up for a while, but will eventually after some time, go away. If you see an extra LAN workgroup in "Microsoft Windows Network", try and connect to it. After it fails, this may help the system to distinguish irrelevant connections. I looked through system32/drivers/etc and couldn't find anything that you would be able to clear.
If you are not worried about these irrelevant connections and you just wanted to connect to a different domain or workgroup than just alt-click on My Computer and goto Properties. Goto the Computer Name tab and click the change button toward the bottom of the window. This will allow you to change to another workgroup or authenticate to another domain.

-Mike

Mike
Thanks for the input/effort—much to my frustration, I’ve “Been there done that”
The reason I would like to start from scratch is an inconsistency in the network \\...\ folders
For instance, in one of the folders (Desktop) the username Beth bsb is a remnant of an “old workgroup” and is the only one that still seems to be attached to the “past” This particular folder shows only two folders but there is no “Share Folder” option available under “File and Folder Tasks”
My next thought is to go back and change all folders in the network to “Restore Defaults” and see if that gives me some control.
Speaking from a strictly theoretical standpoint, it is very odd that there is no way to remove/delete network instances from Explorer or the registry
Once again thanks
Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom