Remote shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcoolme21

Solid State Member
I'm trying to get used to using XP's inbuilt shutdown command, so i can remotely shutdown all the PC's in the office at the end of the day.

Im using the the 'shutdown -i' in command prompt to bring up the shutdown command GUI.

When i enter the names of the computers to shutdown and click Ok, it just says 'access is denied. (5)'

I've been told this is because i don't have access priveleges. The computers have the same admin username and password as the one im sending the command from, so shouldn't that work? If not, why?

Thanks!

Eta: They are in the same workgroup. I can access them fine through my network places...

Due to the workgroup environment this is going to be a difficult process if you're attempting to shut them all down. If it's not prompting you for a username and password it's not going to allow you to specify the "current domain" which would be "local computer\user name".

If I were you, I would setup a scheduled task to run with the "system" account.

You can send remote machines an "at" command to prompt the machine to shut down every night. this can be done via bat files or vbs files.

Just another possibility, but should already be set.
Open the Security Settings, Local Policies, User Rights Assignment and make sure Force Shutdown from Remote System has the proper users listed.

Cheers guys, i figured it out.

For future reference, it was because the username was set with a blank password. Once i had assigned all the computers with one (the same one as the machine i was sending the shutdown command from) it worked fine. I've turned it into a batch file....

shutdown -m //rack 101 -r -t 1
shutdown -m //rack 102 -r -t 1
etc etc......

...which will shut them all down with one cilck. Lovely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom