Remote desktop problem in XP !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

walid97

Baseband Member
Hi,

I have 2 PCs at home, I want to enter to PC1 remotely from PC2.

from PC1, I enable remote Desktop: "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer". I add a user called "test" to the remote users in PC1.

from PC2, I try to connect to PC1 using the account "test", but I get a message: "the user PC1\john is currently logged on to this computer. if you want to continue john has to disconnect from this computer, do you want to continue?"

I dunno, but "test" and "john" are 2 different users on PC1.. what can I do ?

thanks !

That is because more than likely John is an Administrator
and the group assigned to the Test user has only the
Remote Desktop User rights.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=280828&product=winxp

You will need to either create another account with
user permissions on PC1 which I think can be
logged on when you RDC to PC1 or make Test
an Administrator on PC1.

Note: Any Administrator on the PC automatically has
Remote Desktop Connection rights even if they're
not displayed in that group. So you could Log off John
and use his Admin account to access the PC1 remotely.

Good Luck.

from Microsoft page:

"If <administrator1> is logged on to the console and <administrator2> attempts to connect, you receive the following error message:

The user <Domain or Computer Name>\<username> is currently logged on to this computer. If you continue, this user's Windows session will end and any unsaved data will be lost. Do you want to continue?
NOTE: If <administrator2> continues and logs on, <administrator1> may be disconnected."

So, is there a way to logon remotely to a machine while a user is currently logged on localy to this machine??

that is, 2 users logged in on the same machine at the same time (one localy and one remotely) ???
thanks..

yep only 1 at a time. if you want multiple users to log in simultaneously try using Symantec PcAnywhere. That also has file tranfer something remote desktop doesn't. Actually, maybe what you are looking for is terminal services?

oops no, I meant to say VPN

So both machines have XP correct? And you want to be able to view what the user on pc1 is seeing while sitting at pc2 correct? PC1 cannot be logged onto locally, it needs connectivity. So if john is a user that is logged on localy then log on with test and connect- or vice versa. Its been a good amount of time since ive done this but I remember being on the phone with the user and telling them to accept. So that tells me that i was initiating the desktop sharing. So i think from pc2 you send the request to view the desktop of pc1. pc1 then accepts and you get control. Sound right?

EDIT
VNC is also another remote desktop tool. There are lots out there to choose from. VNC is however, free.

ayenem said:
So both machines have XP correct? And you want to be able to view what the user on pc1 is seeing while sitting at pc2 correct? PC1 cannot be logged onto locally, it needs connectivity. So if john is a user that is logged on localy then log on with test and connect- or vice versa. Its been a good amount of time since ive done this but I remember being on the phone with the user and telling them to accept. So that tells me that i was initiating the desktop sharing. So i think from pc2 you send the request to view the desktop of pc1. pc1 then accepts and you get control. Sound right?

I used the XP remote desktop alot. Never needed to accept anything.

I think in a corp environment there is probably a feature enabled to make it so somebody cant take control of a user's machine with out them knowing. Maybe he has this enabled? *shrugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom