remote desktop not working anymore... what to try next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it would be a better idea to bypass the router and go directly to the ISP DNS server. There is no need for the DNS server pointing to the router. All the router does is direct you to the ISP DNS server.

Hi again,

I am sorry but I keep getting this delay... I can get rid of it but I need to keep putting in and taking out my IP and DNS setting in TCP/IP properties.

I change tham back to automatically detect then click repair connection, then put them back and click repair connection again.
I might need to do that 3 times before it works.

I tried replacing the DNS numbers with OpenDNS numbers to make sure it wasn't just my ISP but it made no differance.

Is there anything I can try to stop this?

If you are using 192.168.2.2, make sure you change the starting IP address on the DHCP server to 192.168.2.3 or higher that isn't in use by another computer or disable DHCP.

Try disabling Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) and Intrusion Control features Denial of Service protection temporarily until the problem is resolve. Then you can enable it back and see if it's causing the delay.

Ok in the router settings we have:

WAN Settings:
* Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection - (check box empty)
* Default DMZ Server - (192.168.0.2)
* Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port - (check box empty)

LAN TCP/IP Setup:
* IP Address - (192.168.0.1)
* IP Subnet Mask - (255.0.0.0)
* RIP Direction - (None)
* RIP Version - (RIP-1)
* Use Router as DHCP Server (check box ticked)
* Starting IP Address - (192.168.0.2)
* Ending IP Address - (192.168.0.254)
* Address Reservation
# IP Address Device Name MAC Address (nothing entered)

Which of those do you mean change?

thanks.

Services:
1 Remote Access 3389
2 RDP 3391
3 skype 5341

Firewall
Outbound Services:
* FTP
* Remote Access
* Default - EnabledYes - ANYservice - ALLOWalways - AnyLAN - AnyWAN

Inbound Services:
* FTP
* Remote Access
* Default - EnableYes - ANYservice - BLOCKalways - AnyLAN - AnyWAN

I guess put a check on Disable Port Scan and DOS Protection for only temporarily, if it doesn't work enable it back. And change the DHCP starting IP to 192.168.0.10 since you are using 192.168.0.2 already.

Have you done any spyware scan lately?

Right may have solved it.

I took out all IP/TCP setting in Internet Options and made everything automatic again.

Then, on the router under "Address Reservation" I put my PC LAN IP and MAC address and laptop LAN IP and MAC address.

Rebooted the router and repaired both connections.

ipconfig showed IP's 192.168.0.2 for the PC, and 192.168.0.3 for the laptop which is fine... no internet explorer delay as of yet so I am crossing my fingers.

Funny thing I have not seen before is for a short while my router was listed in My Network Places under Local Network... but then it just went away...
why did this happen?

thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom