Remote Desktop, maybe hosting a VPN through a wireless router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enocko

Beta member
Hey everyone, so I do computer consulting and have a client who has an office and wants her people to be able to log into her computers from home and work on them. Since they're running Win XP Pro, Remote Desktop would be an obvious choice, but they'd also consider buying PCAnywhere if I decide there's a benefit to doing so (any thoughts on that, btw?)

The network in the office which has the computers we want to be able to work remotely on is on cable internet with a wireless router (Netgear WGR614 v5), which of course has a firewall and does NAT.

What's the best way to make this work? My guess based on my understanding of Remote Desktop and VPNs is that I would want to establish a VPN connection, which would then allow me to use the local network IPs (or computer names) to access the server computer(s) for Remote Desktop, because without the VPN, I wouldn't be able to get an IP for any of the individual machines (just the router).

Am I right here? If so, is it going to be possible to host a VPN through that router, and how would I go about doing it?

Thanks so much,

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom