Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Rocks

In Runtime
Hey everyone,
Can anyone help me? I trying to figure out how I can connect to my home computer from girlfriends house? I have enable Remote desktop on both ends. I have made sure that the connection is not being block by the firewalls. When it asks for computer/IP address I type it in but it doesnt seem to work. Is there more that I need to do to make it work?

Don't you have to send an invite VIA email to the computer you want to host, then that computer has to accept the invite and the connection is made at that point...?

I enjoy logmein :)

do you have a router at your house? If so are you port forwarding port 3389 to your computers local ip address? How are you getting the ip that you are trying to connect to?

have you forwarded the ports correctly? Is your home computer behind a router etc? Just give us the details of both networks as in there layout etc.

What steps have you followed to set up a remote desktop? Remote Desktop Connection: frequently asked questions - Windows Vista Help this is the remote desktop connection guide for vista from Microsoft, some versions such as home basic will not allow you to establish a remote connection.

Dont send him to those sites, if hes asking for help at this point those psycho-babble help documents wont do him much good other than to make his head spin.

Hey everyone,
Can anyone help me? I trying to figure out how I can connect to my home computer from girlfriends house? I have enable Remote desktop on both ends. I have made sure that the connection is not being block by the firewalls. When it asks for computer/IP address I type it in but it doesnt seem to work. Is there more that I need to do to make it work?

If you cannot connect then obviously you either have a computer which wont use NLA and the computer your trying to connect to requires NLA, then obviously it wont work.
If you don't have that issue, then you obviously aren't port forwarding (or your windows firewall doesn't have an exception, you should fix that). If you
don't have those issues, then get back to me and I will see what I can do, but I am very busy, so make it fast!

Where can I look to make sure my ports are forwarding? Look at my router?

Well well well, look who it is. Well that depends, how about giving me the model/brand of your router and I will give you the step by step instructions copied and dumbed down from the manual.

Sounds easy enough right? ;)

Well Well Well What? ya I am. I have a DSL modem and Router is a Dynex Enhanced Wireless G Router

As for your issue:
I dont care about your modem, I don't understand why people think that has anything to do with your firewall/security. The modem (cable or DSL) is just your connection to the ISP, its completely open (or at least as open as the ISP allows it to be which is usually loose), your router is where your line of defense should be.

As for your router, I will chastise you slightly for choosing such a silly brand, Dynex replicated Belkins online interface completely, and your in luck since I know Belkins interface like the back of my hand.
You need to put this URL http://192.168.2.1 in your browser and log in with the default login (all blank) information

Click Windows-Key and R and type "cmd", in the black command window type ipconfig and take the local IP that looks like 192.168.2.# (some number)

Under the firewall section on the right, click "Virtual Servers" in there, I want you to put the ports for Remote Desktop which is 3389 on TCP and UDP, don't ask why, just do it and put the last number from the above IP for your computer in the field which should be labeled 192.168.2.(input field).

Apply the Settings, wait for the router to reboot and then try it again and let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom