Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
Is there a way that I can access my computers, such as a remote desktop, through my laptop when I'm in another country and all I have is internet?

XP and Vista have remote desktop utilities on them already. You could also go through a 3rd party tool like LogMeIn (which is what I use).

ya you would have to have a static IP address or you could use somthing like DDNS (dynamic DNS) ten make a statict nat translation from you pc the that outside address, with the RDP port #'s .

or you could just use a service like go to my pc.

how do i get the static IP address ?

I'm behind a modem router and my I.P is assigned by the router .. so how do i use the remote desktop.

how do i get the static IP address ?

I'm behind a modem router and my I.P is assigned by the router .. so how do i use the remote desktop.

well you would want to create a virtual server on you router pointing at you computer with the RDP protocal #'s "3389" and use the ip address that is on the WAN side as the outside ip address. then you would type that address in the RDP client. If you dont have a static IP it could change on you thus it will stop working and your rule wont automatily change with it. you should be able to tell if you ip is static or not just by logging into the router and go to the WAN or internet settings look at the config, if it is using DHCP the it is not static and could change.

thx bob.

it's definitely not a static ip.. but can i buy a static IP just to use for remote desktop ?

coz' one of my friend said he bought 2 static ip addresses for his office just to use the remote desktop.. Well, he actually said it' was for netmeeting to troubleshoot his office pcs. I couldn't differentiate between netmeeting and remote desktop.. and what's remote assistance .. aren't they all same ?

thx bob.

it's definitely not a static ip.. but can i buy a static IP just to use for remote desktop ?

coz' one of my friend said he bought 2 static ip addresses for his office just to use the remote desktop.. Well, he actually said it' was for netmeeting to troubleshoot his office pcs. I couldn't differentiate between netmeeting and remote desktop.. and what's remote assistance .. aren't they all same ?

well depends on your isp, cost can vary quite a bit. another but more technical, would be a Dynamic DNS service (DDNS) like DynDNS which is free.

Nettmeeting is basicly a pimped out Messenger that can use remotedesktop if i remember corectly. Remote Desktop is Terminal services, but has evolved into a app witch can beused without a server. Remote Assistance is more like "Live meeting" or "go to meeting" but with less fuctionality. It again uses the RDP protocall. But it requires someone using the computer to accept the connection, as too remote desktop the service just has to be configured and the computer on and it will work. If you looking for somthing like remote assistance i would tell you to give " crossloop" a try, it is an exilent program that is free aswell. CrossLoop - Simple, secure screen-sharing and trusted experts for computer help

hope this helps

Just download and start Team Viewer on your computer. You can get from every place you want, check it out on google. No need for Static IP adresses, hacks, dumb windows utilities or stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom