Remote connection and file sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
I have a couple questions on these topics. First of all... 3 computers. 2 wireless, 1 wired, all connected via wireless/wired access point. All PC's are using XP Pro. I'm having problems using remote desktop and file sharing but only through a couple of circumstances.

For file and sharing, the 2 wireless computers can access shared files via the wired computer, and visa versa. The 2 wireless PC's can't share files with each other because a password prompt appears with a grayed out user name (guest) and password text field. None of the PCs have an enabled guest account nor do they have password protection.

For the remote connection, one of the PCs can connect remotely to the other, but the other PC cannot do the same back to that PC. All settings are enabled to allow remote connections and what not.

Also, strangely enough, the PC that couldn't share files with the other was able to connect remotely with it.

Open any folder;
Tools > folder options > view tab > uncheck "use simple file sharing"

Now on the folder you want to share;
right click > proporties > sharing tab.
Make the folder shared, and then click permissions. You can either add "everyone", or you can add specific user accounts to the permissions.

As far as the remote desktop thing goes, i'm not entirely sure, as i've never used the feature before, however I do know that the windows xp SP2 firewall blocks remote desktop by default. You can change that in the control panel.

Well I've almost got all the kinks worked out. I only have one more problem. The 2 wireless computers can't remotely connect to the wired computer BUT the wired computer CAN connect to both wireless computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom